The Krishna Key.



Title : "The Krishna Key"
Author : Ashwin Sanghi
Genre : Mythology, Indian Fiction, Thriller.
Price : Rs.250 
Publisher: Westland Book Publications

Cover summary of the book: 

"Five thousand years ago, there came to earth a magical being called Krishna, who brought about innumerable miracles for the good of mankind. Humanity despaired of its fate if the Blue God were to die but reassured that he would return in a fresh avatar when needed in the eventual Dark Age - the Kaliyug. In modern times, a poor little rich boy grows up believing that he is that final avatar. Only, he is a serial killer."

My review: 

Never judge a book by it's cover. A proverb that hit my mind only after I had read the whole book. My friend has signed up for the book review program at Blogadda and sent me the cover summary of the book. Being a huge Dexter and things involved-with-serial-killers fan I was super impressed by it. But I had some issues. Indian mythology was something I had never stepped into nor was my area of interest but of course I was eager to try given the history of the author and the applauds to Chanakya's Chant.

The Krishna Key is a fascinating book. Drama, suspense, bollywood style flashbacks, conspiracies and even some complicated terminology, Krishna's Key has it all. At no point did I feel bored and exhausted to turn a page. Maybe disappointed at some points but not bored. The research done for this book is commendable. Especially in a country like India where people are really over-sensitive about their religion, books and deities Sanghi has really left no stone unturned to not make this a subject of controversy. 

Though I somehow felt he went a little over the top and became too obsessed with the mythology fiction. Even though I loved the Sanskrit phases because they added a feel of mystery to the plot, I had to ask my mother to decipher them for me. I loved how Sanghi portrayed the characters with dark shades which made it quite realistic. Though at some points I felt the characters could have been more properly defined.

I have no doubts as to why people refer to him as the Dan Brown of India considering the sideline story from the Mahabharata at every chapter. I have a hunch that it may also be because of the fact that "co-incidentally" this book also had a brilliant scientist who made a supposedly startling discovery, who is also framed for murder and is on the run. In this long struggle he is accompanied by another female scientist (another coincidence) who together solve this mystery. 

I was actually really impressed by the book until it ended. The ending part didn't appeal to me. The author built up an interesting an intense plot only to settle for a plain, abrupt and non-adventurous climax with a moral lecture.

All things being said I still liked the book. First for the fact that I couldn't stop marveling at the fact that how much research had been put in this book. I salute Ashwin Sanghi for this amount of hard work and efforts put in. I loved the magic, the secrets, the romance, the ancient knowledge, the Sanskrit phrases and self-realization that how much mystery and aw our country holds. The book manages to strike a chord. Maybe because the stories our elders told us are finally in a thrilling form that I would so prefer rather than the old, stereotype way.

Final verdict:

It is definitely a plot that I would excitedly discuss with people and advice them to read because I certainly found it to be a one time read. Though I wouldn't mind reading fan fictions about it suggesting a different ending. Coming to think of it I may write one myself as well.

My Rating:

3.5/5

This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com
Participate now to get free books!



1 comment:

  1. Hmm I have read chanakya's chant. It was interesting. May try this one.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to tell me I am awesomesauce. Go ahead.

©All Faces Of Me. Is Designed By Templateify & CollegeTalks| Distributed by Rocking Templates